Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My Summer Vacation

This is the time of year when I plan our summer vacation.  So far, every plan I've been able to come up with has at least one inherently fatal flaw.

First amongst those is the annoying issue of cost.  Airplane ticket cost, to be exact.  I kept thinking that I kept selecting the first class bookings every time I went on Expedia, until I realized that the airlines seemed to have completely eliminated coach class tickets.  I'd even suffer another trans-Atlantic flight with my lungs pressed to my knees and rumors of coin-operated bathrooms for a coach ticket.  Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Then, there is timing.  Summer has never been a good time for our family to travel, mostly because my husband's business is elections, and elections happen in the fall, and that's about as much as I can say about that.

Lastly, there are hormones.  The young son I could drag along to any locale is now a teenager who responds to all travel suggestions with first "no" and then an elaborate explanation about how a summer trip with his family would separate him from this friend or that friend, which would result in his experiencing instant social death.

It occurs to me that in order to have a summer vacation, I might have to expand my definition of them -- or shoot for something smaller.  Maybe summer vacation will be some pleasant experience -- like going to a play or taking sailing lessons.  Or enrolling the teen in a typing class so I don't have to type up his papers next year?

Pleasant? Yes.  Slightly diabolical? Even better.  Makes me want to go make that iced tea right now.

No comments: