Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Figs. Yeah, Right.



I'm working on a new window for my really wonderful, generous, and patient friends Hristos and Elena. It's an abstraction of fig tree branches -- in honor of their backyard full of fruit trees. Being Greek, they have a special place in their hearts for their fig tree, and so do I.

Fig trees grow fairly well here in DC in what-was-once-zone 6-but-is-now- zone 7-owing-to-global-warming. To get closer to the real thing in the design process, I took a lot of pictures of my friend Laurie's beautiful fig tree last October. Of course, I needed to eat some of that tree's figgy abundance as well, it being fig season and all. Just to get that fig thinking right.

The fig branches were so beautiful, that it wasn't hard to sketch out some nice designs. Of course, twisty-turny fig leaves don't exactly lend themselves to the smooth arcs in which glass likes to be cut, but, hey, have glass cutters/will risk cutting some extra pieces.

Blogger won't let me upload any more pictures, so I'll be back soon with the design itself which, like most stained glass designs, looks one part pretty/one part Dali representation of the shroud of Turin.

No comments: