Saturday, June 14, 2008

One To Nine, And The Grown-Up Wins


Thanks to the dedication of the small AC unit built into the side of the workshop, I was able to get the lead-piecing finished up this week -- without any of my usual work-til-3AM sessions. Honestly. It baffles me as to why I feel the need to return to the drama of such final-exam-cramming behavior, but whenever I finish a project, that seems to be exactly where I go. So, I guess this finishing up -- at the mundane hour of 5PM -- is something of an achievement. Could I possibly be acting my age?

Or could this be due to meditation practice that I've started recently. Ever since beating April's Infection Invasion, I've been seeking out ways to boost my immune system. I'm back on the insulin-balancing eating plan (teeny meals 6 times per day, rather than 3 bigger ones) and learning weight-lifting from my terrific trainer, Tara. I'm swimming, which I believe is as mentally restorative as it is good for my arms and legs.

And I'm learning more about reiki -- a Japanese healing method. My teacher is funny, irreverent, and sincere -- simultaneously. How could I not be intrigued? Along with the reiki comes a kind of meditation that uses focus on breath, mantra, and a kind of symbol focus which totally appeals to my visual artist side. Like all things that take me out of my busy brain, it's hard to explain other than to say that part of the focus is traveling along the symbol -- with your focus.

I think this is about as close as I will ever get to understanding what it feels like to be a tree. Or a number. Or something like that.

Wormsloe Live Oaks, Savannah, GA

2 comments:

lisa schamess said...

i've often wondered what it would be like to be a tree.

the window is beautiful. i'd like to be a nine.

painter girl said...

Beautiful work as always Anne!
You are inspiring in your healthy ways! Makes me feel like I need to get inspired too!
Leanne