Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Still Thawing, But Happy Too

So today was primary day here in the District of Columbia, a city that is so predominately Democratic that it is almost impossible to find Republican voters. Actually, the last time I encountered a RNC canvasser working the Saturday farmer's market, I felt so bad for the guy I just about went and bought him a sandwich. Almost.

And given the neck-and-neck, competitive Democratic race, the city was just about vibrating with electoral excitement. And this is saying something in DC, where most of us have seen the seamier side of the federal government, various presidential administrations, and a city councilmember or two. We are a cynical bunch. (Having perfectly good streets permanently shut down by Homeland Security can do that to a person.) But today, voters turned out in force. There was giddiness and earnest debate happening all over the place. In fact, in my own precinct, the voter roll registers were already 3/4 of the way full by 4PM, meaning fully 75% of the voters in my precinct had already voted.

Pretty darn cool.

As for me and my kin, we spent the day standing outside in a windswept parking lot organizing canvassers. It was cold and cloudy. Then it snowed. Then it rained. Finally, it iced over. But people still showed up and ate doughnuts and went off in gaggles to knock on doors and tell people to vote.

Pretty darn cool. Okay, cold. It was a lot of fun to be a part of something so much bigger than myself. Still, I am hoping to be reunited with all the nerve endings in my feet someday soon.

No comments: