Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ferns Grow Slowly

Well, I've learned that if I design a window that has 120 pieces in the first square foot, it's not exactly going to fly off the work bench.  (Sorry. Bad metaphor, but you know what I mean.)  Getting through the lead piecing work on the first half of this transom window has been SLOW.  

Fortunately, I get a bit of a break today: I'm headed to Weisser Glass to take a lamp-making class this afternoon.  It has been so long since I've done copper foil method, the construction method used in making stained glass lamp shades, that I felt I needed a refresher course.  The copper foil method was invented by Louis Tiffany's shop as a way of creating lighter pieces with narrower lead lines.  It's great for making lamps, sconces, boxes, etc. -- things that don't have to survive heat and cold extremes, like windows.  A client and friend has asked me to make a custom lamp for her living room.  So, rather than muddle through, I thought I'd take this four-Sunday afternoon class and do things right.  

Unlike knitting, when you mess up, glass just doesn't lend itself to unraveling and knitting over.  

1 comment:

painter girl said...

this looks beautiful! I can't wait to see the finish.