Friday, December 21, 2007

Luck O' The Irish

There was no luck involved in knitting this one -- just a lot of TV-football-game-watching, sick-child-minding, and phone-calls-to-my-mother time. For me, these activities cry out "survival by distraction!" and what a delightful distraction this was.










As Cheryl (pattern author) warned me, this shawl is BIG. In fact it's so big, I couldn't quite figure out how to photograph it best. (Not that my photo skills are much better than getting a snapshot of people lined up on the beach.) Of course, on this winter solstice and the shortest day of the year -- at least in terms of sunlight -- there was only tepid natural light to be had.  Not much help for knitwear photojournalism. 

I'm figuring this shawl will be perfect for snuggling up in our notoriously chilly living room on a rainy Sunday, let's say. I tried to persuade our dog, Smokey, to test out this theory, but he was not game.  He's got certain standards, after all.  Linen, maybe?





Shawl Particulars:

Pattern: Irish Shawl from "Folk Shawls" by Cheryl Oberle
Yarn: Brooks Farm Duet, 2000 yards, brown
Needles: Addi Turbo US Size 7, 60" whooper
Note: This shawl finishes up beautifully in a much shorter amount of time than you would imagine.

No comments: