Thursday, December 13, 2007

2 Thousand Yards of Wet Yarn Later

Instead of lunch today, I blocked a shawl.  A big shawl. I've been knitting a bunch of shawls lately. And this seems to bust up the menfolk in my house, no matter how much I try to explain the beautiful pattern repeats and arrangement of yarn overs.

The knitting part I like. Blocking is another thing. There are few things I dislike more than blocking -- emptying mousetraps comes to mind. No matter how many towels, pins, and blocking wires I have on hand, I always run out of one or all of those things and end up with a killer backache.
This baby does, in fact, comprise 2,000 yards of Brooks Farm Duet, a mohair-wool combination.  My lumbar vertebrae can vouch for that.


The pattern, Irish Shawl, comes from Cheryl Oberle's excellent  book "Folk Shawls."  This is one of those "desert island" knitting books that everyone should have. Not only are the patterns beautiful, the descriptions of the traditional shawls make up a unique and delightful collection of knitting anthropology.

I had the great pleasure to begin knitting the shawl, sitting with the incomparable Cheryl herself when I was at the her workshop, the Taos Knitaway, this past October.  At the time, I figured I would finish this thing sometime in 2009, but the pattern was so straightforward and memorize-able, that I finished right before Thanksgiving.  I've just been putting off the blocking until today.




I just hope my shawl turns out as beautifully as the one shown in culturally appropriate green in Cheryl's book!

4 comments:

Alotta.knittin said...

Beautiful, just beautiful! You did a GREAT job on it. Can't wait to see it on you.

Blue Lass said...

I *would* point out that you wouldn't have to empty mousetraps if you'd just get that darn cat...but then I imagine what a mess it would make of that shawl.

Anne Kenealy Lindenfeld said...

Thanks! I unpinned it today, and it looks great. BIG, but great. I'll take some pictures this weekend.

And, I think it's a good bet that a cat would get lost in this shawl. ;)

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

That is one spectacular stunning shawl, Anne. I cannot imagine how you had the patience - but you must be feeling pretty pleased. I would be.

Having had Christmases in wet and gloomy Ireland, in American deep snow, and beneath palm trees, I still think I prefer yours best...