Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Below the Mesa...At Least Partially

Just got back from Taos late last night, after a mad dash from New Mexico's airy lofts of the high mesa to the flatland desert, where they keep the planes. The good news is that I'm no longer sneezing my head off due to the Taos pollen/allergy season; the bad news is that I had to leave in the first place. No, really, it's good to be home. Really.

But, before home, work, and deadlines take up my full attention, I thought I'd post some pictures from the trip...

The day before we left, me and Laurie (brilliant, patient travelling companion, cool gal, and master knitter) spent a day meandering around northern New Mexico, driving on the high road from Taos to Chimayo.

We stopped, we oooed and ahhed, we drove on, we had to stop again. High mountains surrounded us much of the way, where the dark green pines were interlaced with the bright gold of the aspen trees turning their fall colors.


And just when we thought we'd seen the most gorgeous countryside, the road took another twist and a dip, and there in the village of Las Trampas, a sight made us screech to a breathless halt again. It was the village's church that stopped us in our tracks. This amazing structure dates back to the 1750s and is a fine example of the 18th century churches of New Mexico. The people of Las Trampas still worship there today.


It is usually locked, to keep it safe from the souvenir-hungry tourists, but a very nice gentleman who looks after the church unlocked it's massive, carved front doors and let us look around the interior.

No pictures allowed, but just being able to see the painted murals, carved wooden beams, and alter panels defied words. The church is still lit only with candles. I can only imagine how beautiful it must be to attend mass there at the end of a long day or on a chilly winter's morning.

Further down the road, the landscaped changed again from towering pines to chiseled cliffs. It wasn't hard to imagine that this country had once lain at the bottom of a huge prehistoric ocean. Except for a passing car every once in a while, the only sound was the wind.



I felt right at home there. Maybe it's that fish thing again...just a few millenia off.

PS. All these pictures were taken with my iPhone. Who needs a camera?

2 comments:

Alotta.knittin said...

Dear Anne,

It's so much fun to see another side of our friends! I didn't realize you were such a dyed in the wool fiber-fiend! I've heard about the Maryland sheep show, and many folks I know here in NJ are all talking about Rhinebeck. But Taos!!! That's hard core!!

I really enjoyed your NPR commentary and the piece you had in the Post. Tom sent the link to Robert and we listened to the NPR piece together. You are quite a writer. I really appreciate your craft.

Anne, I hope you realize this is Cynthia of Robert and Cynthia and Milo! Here I am going on and on....

Well, need to get back to work. I'll be checking in at Reef Bay View on a regular basis.

Anne Kenealy Lindenfeld said...

Hi Cynthia! Yup, I thought that was you...and a fellow fiber fiend as well!

Going to Taos was as much about going there as doing the wool stuff. I've wanted to get back out there for 17 years. I've been trying to go to the Wool Festival and a Oberl Knitaway for years. I was thrilled that all the stars aligned and I could go this year!

Cheryl is just as wonderful as her designs. I started the Irish Shawl while there, and it was fun to show her my swatch and ask, "this okay?" You would love the funky adobe lodge we stayed in, too.

Thanks for reading. BTW, I am working on a commentary for Thanksgiving.