Thursday, December 28, 2006

If I were a hat...



I think I would like to be this one. I like to call it the Kabucha hat, since it reminds me of the shape of that excellent Japanese vegetabe. I made it for my sister-in-law, Naomi, who lives in Vermont, a place where they persist in having winter.

This warm topper is made by knitting with two strands -- one from Maine's Fibre Company silk/baby alpaca/merino mix and another from Rowan Kid Silk Haze (fine mohair). I copied, revised, fiddled, etc. the design based on one by my knitting goddess friend, Laurie. I'm just finishing another one -- in shades of pink, no less -- and it might even be for me.

Bring on the snow, if you please!

2 comments:

Blue Lass said...

Que festive, que lovely, que absolutely my favorite color. Have you already mailed it to this Naomi person?

Anne Custis Kenealy said...

So sorry. She put it on, went for a walk, and she and the hat bonded.

I can make you one, though. Need to know how big your head is. Please measure around (holding tape measure over your ears). Also, measure your hand from its base to the longest fingertip. (This tells me how far it is from your brow to your crown.) Send those two numbers, we're in business.